Nowadays, it has become very common to lose Facebook account. This has resulted as a matter of carelessness, betrayal by friends, lost of registered phone numbers and many more.
The Facebook community has provided series of ways to protect your account from the people causing the mischief.
These are the steps to be taken to ensure security on your Facebook account.
1. Do not click on suspicious links whenever or wherever you find it, even if it came from your friends. If you receive a link, always take the extra step of asking your friend what the link is to confirm that they had sent it. Usually these links are ‘sent’ without the sender’s knowledge. This includes all links that appear in your Facebook Chat, Messages, friend’s status post or even from your email. It’s better to give your friend a phone call to verify the authenticity of the link.
2. Never give out your username or password to anyone, including websites with suspicious links and layouts. Giving your passwords freely could jeopardize the security of your personal information on Facebook. Facebook has prepared a privacy which hides your details on Facebook which only you can view it. The like of your phone number, Gmail etc are to be kept secret
3. Log in only at www.facebook.comand not from any other link or website, unless you are accessing via Facebook App.
4. Update your browser to its latest version to ensure your browser’s security is up to date so it would detect and alert you with a warning when you are navigating to a suspected phishing site.
5. Connect your Gmail account to your Facebook account and do not use the same password for your Facebook account and Gmail account. This is the only way you can retrieve Facebook account unless if the hacker hacked both Gmail account and Facebook at the same time.
Check below for more details about safeguarding your Facebook account
1. Create Strong Password
Chances are, you already have your password created for Facebook however it is advisable for you to make sure your Facebook password is one of a kind and different from your other online accounts e.g. email, blog, hosting etc.
To change your password, go to Account Settings > General > Password.
The best passwords would have the combination of small and capital letters, numbers and symbols.
2. Confirm your mobile number
Confirming your mobile number is one of many ways to enhance your account security on Facebook. This way, even when you lose or forget your password, Facebook will be able to send you a new one via SMS.
To add your mobile number, go to General Account Settings > Mobile and click on Add a Phone.
Now you will be given an instruction to send an SMS to the given number. Follow the instructions to get a code via SMS, and then enter the code into the column. You also have the option to Share your number with friends on Facebook and Allow friends to text me from Facebook. Select your preferences and click Next.
Now your mobile phone is registered with Facebook, and when the need arises, this connection will be useful to reactivate your Facebook account.
Activate Secure browsing, Now
Among other things, to make sure your browsing activity within Facebook is safe, you can turn on the Secure browsing option. By doing this, you automatically limit all external applications that are integrated with Facebook from doing any harm or taking your personal information without your knowledge or approval.
To start securing your account, click on the drop down menu from the top right corner of your Facebook account and go to Account Settings.
The option panel will appear, ‘check’ the box Browse Facebook on a secure connection then click on the Save Changes button.
4. Activate ‘Two factor authentication’
Two factor authentication is an extended security feature offered by Facebook, and it will require you to enter a security code each time you try to access your Facebook account from unrecognized devices. To activate Two factor authentication, go to Account Settings > Security, look for use Two factor authentication.
Put your mobile number and activate it. You will receive
a code which will be sent by face to verify your number. Kindly ender it and proceed.
Note: Never! I mean never you send any Facebook code to anyone no matter who. It can be used against you.
If you already register your mobile number, Facebook will automatically send you a code via SMS. Enter this code in the given box and click Submit Code.
Now you have completed with Login Approvals request, click Next to continue.
Next, Facebook will offer you to setup a Code Generator from your mobile phone; this is useful in case you are unable to receive SMS. Click Continue.
Download the Facebook Mobile App from Google Play if you don’t already have it. After downloading it to your mobile, click Next.
5. Disconnect Previous Active Sessions
The good thing about Facebook is that it lets you know about your previous active sessions, where you login from, and what devices you used to access your Facebook account. Now to make sure your account is safe, from the Account Settings > Security page, look for ‘Active Sessions‘ and click on Edit.
Note: if you are experiencing that someone has access to your Facebook, kindly go to Setting and Privacy => Log all session out. You will see all the browser that have logged into your Facebook account, log them out and change your password immediately.
This post will be update once Facebook adjust her application.
Don’t miss out on this great post.