Looking for a fully funded international scholarship to study in the United States of America, here’s an amazing opportunity for you. Applications for The Gates Scholarship (TGS) Program are currently open for students who wish to pursue their academic studies in the United States.
Each year Bill Gates provides 300 scholarships for international students to study in the United States. The Gates Scholarship Program offers a fully funded scholarship to study in any University in USA, which means that all expenses will be covered by sponsor.
However, this scholarship is highly selective and only has 300 available slots. Therefore, in this article we will be provide information in details about The Gates Scholarship Program, its eligibility requirements, and how to apply for the scholarship.
- About The Gates Scholarship Program
- Scholarship description/Summary
- Scholarship benefits/inclusion
- Eligibility requirements for The Gates Scholarship Program
- Application Process
- Additional notes
About The Gates Scholarship Program
However, The Gates Scholarship (TGS) Program was launched in 2017 by the Microsoft founder Bill Gates and first scholarships were awarded in 2018. This program was launched under The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation with the aim of continuing its long-standing commitment to helping less privileged minority students reach their maximum potential.
Furthermore, TGS program is a highly selective, last-dollar scholarship for not only minority, but also outstanding high school seniors from low-income backgrounds. The Gates Scholarship Program are awarded annually to 300 student leaders, with each successfully selected student receiving full funding for an accredited four-year US university.
Moreover, The Gates Millennium Scholars Program reached its goal of 20,000 scholars in 2016 and was replaced with TGS program the following year. The Gates Scholarship Program’s goal is provide 3,000 scholars to continue the aim of building a global network of future leaders committed to improve the lives of others.
Read Also: Work Permit in USA
Furthermore, here’s an overview of TGS program :
The Gates Scholarship Program / Bill Gates
United States o America
Accredited United States four-year, not-for-profit, private or public University or College
Number of Awards:
300 scholarships annually
Eligible students must be members of one or more of the following ethnic minorities: African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian and Pacific Islander American, and Hispanic American.
15th July 2021
However, TGS program provides the recipients with the following benefits throughout the duration of the scholarship:
Scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance that is not already covered by other scholarships and the expected family contribution, as determined by FAFSA, or the methodology used by a Scholar’s college or university. However, the cost of attendance includes:
- Tuition fee
- Fees for academic expenses (such as room and board, books, academic supplies etc.)
- And may include other personal costs
Successfully selected students for the scholarship will receive funding for a maximum of five (5) years of study, with the expectation that the recipient will complete a bachelor’s degree during that period.
Eligibility Requirements for The Gates Scholarship Program
However, in order to be considered for The Gates Scholarship, the candidate must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- be a high school scholar
- The student must come from at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- be a US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- must have a minimum cumulative 3.3 GPA on an unweighted 4.0 scale( or equivalent)
- The student must plan to enroll full time in a four-year (bachelor’s) degree at an accredited, not-for-profit, private or public US college or university.
Moreover, an ideal candidate for TGS Program will have the following:
- An outstanding academic record in high school (among the top 10% of his/her graduating class)
- Demonstrated leadership potential ( e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities0
- Exceptional personal success skills( e.eg, emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)
TGS Program Application Process
However, follow the step by step guidelines outlined below for your Gates Scholarship application. But before reading the application process, here’s a list of documents and other important documents you need to provide for the application.
- A copy of your most recent transcript(s)
- Student Aid Report (SAR), once the FAFSA has been completed
- Financial Aid Award Letter from the university or college you wish to attend
- Letter of admission to a four-year bachelor’s degree program at a non-for-profit, private or public university you wish to attend
- CSS profile
- Passport-sized/headshot photograph
- CV or resume
- Proof of your leadership roles and experiences in community services and other extracurricular activities
- You will have to provide your family’s financial information as the scholar is for minority, high school students from low income background
Moreover, the students will have to upload the aforementioned documents, as they will be requested at various stages of the application process. Now for the Gates Scholarship application process, it consists of two Phases which each having its own specific application and requirement. All eligible students who qualify for the Gates Scholarship will be invited to apply once the application portal has been opened.
Moreover, each students will have to create a myTGS profile to apply. A myTGS profile is your personal portal to all The Gates Scholarship Program resources. Which includes the application and other support services you need when selected for the scholarship. Such services include mentoring; academic support; career and internship guidance, advice, and opportunities; financial literacy; and more, for the life of the scholarship.
However, here’s the breakdown of the selection process: Online applications for the Phase I will open on July 15, 2021 and closes on September 15, 2021. Click here to apply. Then the semi-finalists for the Phase I will be announced on December 1, 2021 and applications for Phase II which is for semi-finalists only opens as well.
Then applications for Phase II closes on January 15, 2022. Finalists will be announced on March 1, 2022 and interviews commends till the 31st of March. Then on April 20, 2022 successful scholars will be announced and the financial awards will be extended around fall 2022.
In addition to the selection process, The Gates Scholarship Program will facilitate in-person interviews with Finalists. Online virtual interviews will be arranged when interviewers are not within a reasonable distance of Finalists. Note that the students are responsible for their transportation costs to attend an interview.
However, ensure to carefully read the requirements and application instructions before apply for this scholarship. You will have give your full attention to the application process if you want to stand a chance at winning this scholarship.
In conclusion, visit the Official website of the scholarship provider using the link below for further information on the requirements and application process of TGS program. As information may change or updated at any moment without notice. Need More Guide, Today You can Visit the Official Sponsorship Approval Portal for your Work, Study and Live Abroad Programs.